email me

Steve Sullivan alexbaranov86@gmail.com mikhail a salcedo-baranov

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Final Blog Assignment

To start off, I must say that I sure have come a long way from the first day of class. When I signed up for this course, the most I had ever done with a computer was email and download music, and surf the web. don't get me wrong, I got lost several times, but after bugging my teachers to death with questions on top of more questions, I would eventually get the hang of things. Some of the things I learned from this class that I feel I will take with me into my future teaching career is Timetoast. being a History major, I feel this is one tool that I might get the most use out of. not just to benefit my students, but to have that extra something that helps me stay organized and sharp with my historical timelines. second, I really enjoyed the comments for kids. Its really nice to be able and have the opportunity to hear what these kids are thinking and to be able and keep up with them through technology. I thought podcasting was a good idea, I just don't see that being a tool I use in my teaching career. but you never know, and if it is something I will have to do, at least ill know how to do that and I can credit this EDM 310 class for that. I think the hardest thing for me was knowing that everything I blogged was being read by people all over the world, be it teachers and students, so that really forced me to think about what I was writing about knowing there was a grand ole audience out there. i thought the Google Earth Project was kind of cool. it was the one project that took most of my time, I dont know if that was because I was having difficulty following instruction, or if i was just really having too much fun on there. regardless, being a History major I also feel this will be another tool I can benefit from in the teaching field.
I also really enjoyed the Interview projects. I thought it was nice to cover topics on technology through actual interaction with teachers and students. it was a very informative project that I feel covered several topics of technology. I also feel I will benefit from in the classroom. as many things I enjoyed from the class, there were a few I did not. really it was not the work itself but the amount of work per week. I don't feel I benefited from the comments for classmates. my responses to my blog posts were almost robotic. I did not care too much for the group projects either, and not because of the actual assignments but more so the scheduling and meeting with people. I had a hard time meeting with with my project partners.

2. overall, I feel there was nothing left to be taught in this class and everything that was taught to me was for the most part not to hard to learn. 4. I thought this class was exciting when it came to the actual projects and comments for kids. this was exciting to me mainly because of the interactions that came with these assignments. 5. I did find this class intellectually challenging at times. for me, just having to really think before you type to such a grand audience, it forces you to be more accountable with what you say and professional about it at the same time. 6. I really was never bored with this class mainly because there was so much to do. the classes i get bored real easily in are those lecture classes that only require you to come in and sit down and take a few test periodically. 7. if i could change anything, I think it would be the work load, primarily the comments for assignments. 8. i am now the most technologically savvy I can say I have ever been. Its amazing how much more confident I am behind a key board than i was just a few months ago. If i had to rate my level of technological literacy, it would have to be good. 9. I feel so much more confident in front of a computer, but I know I have so much more to learn. after watching some of the videos for different blog assignments, I know that there are alot of Kids that are so technologically in tune, and if I want to be a real effective teacher, I must be able to keep with the future or else I will be left behind in the past.

3 comments:

  1. Great. Thanks for your honest reflection Alex. I'm glad you are feeling more confident in front of a keyboard. Knowledge is empowering is it not? The most important thing you said was that you know you need to know more. No matter how sure you become of yourself, no matter what you are doing, as long as you keep that in mind you'll be in good shape. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. See what a history teacher does: Eric Langhorst's 8th Grade History Blog Speaking of History.

    Also see the Jackie Gorski and David Mathis (both in Class B) Podcast Blog which shares their interview with Mr. Langhorst mentioned in the sentence above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The link to Mr. Langhorst's Blog Speaking of History was not correctly entered above. I have corrected it here. Be sure you look at it. Of all the academic disciplines, History is probably in most need of technologically literate teachers. There is so much wonderful information available in video, audio and image formats that are overlooked by historians! And that is the type of information you must have these days if you are to attract the attention of kids!

    ReplyDelete