email me

Steve Sullivan alexbaranov86@gmail.com mikhail a salcedo-baranov

Monday, March 22, 2010

2/28/10 Assignment

1. The main point of this video is that we must use technology to have a positive influence on future generations. The technological revolution, ie the improvement of technology that has provided instant access to information, has changed how we write. Miller starts by explaining his understanding of writing, which was in solitude with a peice of paper and paperback books that he would use to brainstorm ideas. Through what he calls incremental changes, we have moved towards a more electronic based understanding of writing.
I think that Miller might be exxagerating the negative influence that this has had on writing. On the other hand, perhaps he is underestimating it. There is a broad consensus among the baby boomers that the quality of writing has declined in our society. Writers like Hemmingway and Fitzgerald are certainly not influential on many people because of the distraction of technology. On the other hand, which I think Richard Miller fails to mention, is that there are still many students of literature. Albeit, in absolute terms of the number of people, we are less skilled at writing, but there are still certain groups of individuals who understand writing the way that he once did. I believe that writing isn't as influenced by incremental changes to the extent suggested by Miller.
Despite my criticisms, I believe this video can be helpful. Miller suggests that educators must use innovative technology to the benefit, not hindrance, of writing. However, this is aleready an obvious fact, we already know that technology is central to our society. We know that it has changed the way we write. I think that the writing atmosphere has definately changed in all the incremental ways suggested by Miller, but I believe the fundamental understanding of writing will continue to be influenced by ways that were influential to previous generations (Hemmingway, Fitzgerald, etc). As a teacher, I have no choice but to teach the electronic understanding of writing as depicted by Miller because it is so central to society, but I will also teach the understanding of writing that baby boomers still prefer.

2. Being a teacher of a networked student is a relatively new thing for teachers. Many teachers, as a result, do not know how to teach a networked student. I think the answer to whether the networked student needs a teacher in many cases is No. I say this because kids nowadays know more about technology than adults. However, it is important for teachers to get up-to-speed quickly so that students aren't be preyed upon by propaganda, are able to use the network with ease and guidance, and maximize the opportunities of the network.
A teacher who is ready for the networked student must stay on top of developments in social networking, and in turn, be educated on the risks and rewards of the connectivisim learning theory. This would involve knowing which sites are safe and which aren't. It would also require knowing what measures to take to protect children from electronic predators.
I think the networked student is a great idea that can promote equality in our society. When you consider the importance of networking, it is more than tantamount
to education in terms of career success. I heard that 75% of jobs are landed by successful networking. Only about 33% are landed by conventionally submitting a resume. So I think this is a great idea because of the importance of networks in our society.
3. I think that these skills are a list of ways to think outside the box. Any good artist, citizen, worker, or intelligent person must possess some of these skills if they want to be good at their profession or an informed person. If I have to choose, I see myself as possessing the play quality and consider it a strength of mine. I have a pretty creative way of looking at the different inputs of a situation or problem and solving for a solution. In terms of the other qualities, I definitely think I do not have bad judgment.
I think that I will improve these qualities in my experiences with people, events, and situations throughout my life. Knowing of and reflecting on these qualities will help me respond better to problems or situations that are a product of our informational culture. Ultimately, I think that many of those qualities are acquired in time, not all at once, because they require a high level of maturity and understanding to develop. Someone who reflects on these qualities before and after a confusing or problematic series of events in their life will, in my opinion, acquire the qualities fastest.
4. According to the New Media Literacy Project, being literate involves reading and writing by using communication tools that are media related. These literacy measures have changed as the media has started communicating through shapes, graphics, sounds, and social networking websites like Facebook and MySpace. These are forms of communication that were either not as pervasive, or were totally absent, in our recent societies history.
Many of the professors in college Universities are still unfamiliar with these new forms of communication. It is kind of funny to think that these scholarly people might be illiterate. In reality they are very literate, but have been slow to adjust to the fast pace of change that has invented new literacy forms. Honestly, I really don't think there is any promise that college professors will spend their time learning these new methods. From my experience, University level faculty are not interested in this subject and prefer their students to communicate in more traditional methods. The teachers that will benefit most by educating themselves on these new literacy measurements are lower and middle school teachers. These are the teachers who can guide their students away from the dangers of the new media literacies.

No comments:

Post a Comment